Saturday, November 13, 2010

Paper Cutz Challenge #67







Good morning everyone! Hope everyone has had a great week. We've been battling a stomach virus that has made it's way through our town and now the youngest has strep throat! Yuck! I managed to get into the craft room for our next challenge at the Paper Cutz Challenge blog. This week's challenge is to do a Thanksgiving card, layout, or other paper project using buttons and bows. I decided that I wanted to make a pumpkin card and that I wanted to make it like a flower pot card. I designed it on my Gypsy. I cut out three ovals at 3 inches from brown cardstock, then I cut out three more from patterned paper. To make the card base, I welded three of the ovals at 3 inches with the shadow feature on. I made two of these. This formed my pumpkin. I layered my cardstock ovals and patterned paper ovals by running the patterned paper through my Xyron. I placed these three ovals onto one of my pumpkins. To put my card together, I applied a thin line of good strong glue around the edge of the pumpkin sillhouette that did not have the paper on it, leaving the top of the pumpkin glue-free. I carefully added the paper-covered pumpkin to this making sure that the edges adhered firmly. For the slider part of the card, I cut a rectangle of paper that was just wide enough to slide in and out of the pumpkin easily and just tall enough to apply a few sunflowers to. To make the sunflowers, I punched out several scalloped circles. I punched out some from my 1.5 inch punch and some with my 2 inch punch. I cut in between the scallops to form the flower petals. Now, our challenge was to use buttons (and bows), so I decided to make my own buttons. For this, I used my Martha Stewart button punch. I absolutely LOVE this punch and am so happy that I bought it! I punched buttons out from my patterned paper that I used to make my pumpkin. Next I punched out an equal number of buttons from brown cardstock. I layered one patterned paper button onto one cardstock button to give it some dimension and make it look like a real button. To complete the button look, I used my Versamark pen and colored all over the patterned paper side of my button. I covered it in clear embossing powder and used my heat tool on it. Now, these look like real buttons! To finish up my buttons, I threaded some DNC floss through the holes and trimmed the excess thread off. I glued these buttons to the centers of my sunflowers. The sunflower leaves were from a Spellbinders set of mine. I cut out two and inked the edges. I adhered these leaves to the pumpkin. I slid the rectangle slider part into the pumpkin and arranged my sunflowers around the top of this and glued them in place, taking care not to get the glue onto the pumpkin, too.

I felt like my card was missing something, so I added the white dots to the patterned paper using my gel pen. I decided that I wanted to make a vine for my pumpkin from ribbon. I had an idea for how to accomplish this and hoped it worked. Here is the technique I came up with: I took some very small dowels that I had and took some satin ribbon and taped one end of the ribbon to one end of the dowel. I tightly wrapped the ribbon around the dowel in a single-layered corkscrew and taped the other end to the bottom of the dowel. Next, I spritzed my ribbon all over with some Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist (I think water could possibly work as well), making sure to spritz all of your ribbon. Lastly, I took my heat embossing tool and ran it over my ribbon turning my dowel slowly. Make sure to get every part of your ribbon. I let it cool for a minute or two, then removed the tape from the ends and unwound the ribbon slowly. I had a perfect spiral ribbon! I was so excited that it worked-woo hoo!!!! The "Happy Thanksgiving" sentiment is from Stampendous, I think. The other card was made from all of the leftover pieces and scraps from my first card. I think it came out really cute, too! I can't wait to give these cards to someone special this Thanksgiving! Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to visit the Paper Cutz Challenge blog and check out the rest of the design team project and add one of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment